Care Act advocacy in Hounslow (help with Needs Assessments, Carer Assessments and Financial Assessments)

If you are having difficulty completing your assessment, you can ask a friend, relative or Carer to complete it on your behalf. If this is not possible, you have the right under The Care Act to the services of an independent advocate to assist you, providing you would have substantial difficulty completing the assessment on your own.  ‘Substantial difficulty’ means you are unable to understand, retain or use relevant information or to communicate your views, wishes and feelings. For example, you may have difficulty reading, remembering things, have a learning disability, mental health issue or suffered a brain injury.

What is an advocate?

An advocate is an independent person who can speak for you, represent your point of view or assist you with a particular task. A Care Act advocate can help you complete your assessment, help with the preparation or review of your care and support plan or assist you if you are unhappy with a decision that has been made about your care.

How do I ask for an advocate?

In Hounslow, Care Act advocacy provided by the Council is managed by Hestia and is free of charge. To access Care Act Advocacy, please contact your Social Worker (if you have one) or the First Contact Team on 020 8583 3100 or email

Contact details for other organisations that can help with advocacy may be found on CarePlace